Pages

Monday, January 28, 2008

Top 5

Finally, my very own top 5! Anyway, this list is a compilation of 5 of my most favorite scenes in an anime series. Why scenes, and not characters? As the old adage goes, a picture paints a thousand words; likewise, a particular scene can catapult a series to iconic fame. A character presents only one side of the story; a scene encompasses everything: the mood, the interaction and dynamics, and, at some point, the story itself.

I only have 5 scenes, mainly because I have only seen a modest number of anime series. At present, I would peg the number of anime series I have watched at around 15. And not all of them are good.

A lot of hardwork went in to this post, from the initial tally to the screenshots themselves. Before I go to my list, a few credits (and links) to where credit is due:

Jev, for the idea of the top 5
Janice, Cyril, Jilly and Jo, the first two for introducing me to anime, and latter two for kindly lending me their own anime goodies
AND
Autumn Rain Screenshots Archive, basically the source of all my pictures here.

RIGHT-O!

My TOP 5 BEST ANIME SCENES!

#5 Ayumi's Confession

Anime: Honey and Clover
Episode: ??

I'm a sucker for romantic animus. Honey and Clover has large quantities of sweet, pastel-colored romance, especially the tension between Mayama and Ayumi. While the pontifications of both Ayumi and Mayama are a bit exhausting, their interactions and growth, however, are excellent. Definitely one of the better anime under the slice of life genre.

The scene above is my favorite Honey and Clover scene: Ayumi gets drunk, and Mayama carries her home (Piggyback!! The most romantic ride of all!!). On the way, Mayama talks about how he cares for Ayumi, in that special friendly way. Ayumi then starts crying and mumbles, "Mayama, I love you" over and over again, to which Mayama simply replies with a monosyllabic "Yeah."

I love this scene to pieces. It's poignant, bittersweet and romantic at the same time. The music, sparse conversation and the animation captures all of the aforementioned three perfectly.

#4 "I was born to smother you with flowers.."


Anime: Monster
Episode: 6

Okay, that's a screenshot of an email inbox. Pretty plain at first sight, but when Nina reads the email from the unknown sender, swoon! Yes, you guessed it..."I was born to smother you with flowers.." How poetic is that??

Anyway, the email turns out to be from Nina's twin brother, Johann, bad-ass psycho killer, who returned to take his little sister away.

Monster is a great show, even if it's highly underrated. Great story, well-developed characters...a psychological series any mystery and horror buff will enjoy.

If someone said those lines to me, I'd really lose it. Seriously.

#3 Departure

Anime: Full Metal Alchemist
Episode: 25

I love Maes Hughes. He's the ultimate Kodak guy: loves his little girl, loves his wife, carries lots of pictures of his family, blackmails people into buying giant teddies for his daughter..the quintessential father and husband.

So when Hughes dies, I was naturally devastated. This scene, together with beautiful music, has him waving at Edward at the train station. Unknown to Ed, Hughes was already dead at that time, after discovering vital information about the Philosopher's stone. This picture became my wallpaper for weeks. It speaks of so many emotions: sorrow, pain, joy. Oh, Hughes-sama, I do miss you!

I'm partial to Hughes, but even if I weren't, this scene would still be the best scene in FMA!

#2 Spike and Julia

Anime: Cowboy Bebop
Episode: 26

Ah, the scene/picture that made me take a second look at Cowboy Bebop. That's Julia and Spike in bed, and it made me realize, "Whoa! Spike is a man!". And that's all that matters!

Spike's manliness aside, Cowboy Bebop is perhaps one of the most famous anime series ever. And for good reason. This series has got everything, with hardly a flaw in it. The music, the animation..just perfect. I highly recommend this one, if not for the picture above then for this:


The runner up for my favorite Cowboy Bebop scenes. This is Spike, after his duel with Vicious. Before falling down, he simply ends it all with one word: "Bang."

And finally, the number 1 scene...

#1 Hybrid Rainbow


Anime: FLCL/Fooly Cooly
Episode: 6

My most favorite scene in the whole, effing world! Naota with his guitar, gazing up to the skies, atop a rubble. I can't even begin to describe what I see in this picture: pride, youth, potential, ambitions...ah, I can go on forever.

Another thing: this scene is played out with the background music of 'Hybrid Rainbow', courtesy of the Pillows, making this one of the most iconic scenes I have ever seen. I mean, you don't need words to end this 6-part OVA; the picture tells it all.

"Can you feel, can you feel that hybrid rainbow..."

No comments: