Pages

Friday, January 08, 2010

It goes on and on and on

The boss was out today, and I had the lullz at work. But still, it wasn’t enough to kick start my brain, rusty as it is from the holiday break. I reek and creak of rustiness. Rawr and a double rawr! So, shake it off and let’s get a-cracking.

I couldn’t complete any of the things I had set out to do today. Partly, it was rusty engines and partly this (the darned thing won't embed itself, boo).

I’ve heard of Glee before but never really paid attention to it. I figured I was too old for musicals and singing anyway. Which goes to show how much I know and that we’re never really too old for anything. Anyway, instead of doing work, I spent the afternoon hunting down online episodes. The ports of the office connection are all closed, it seems. I don’t know what that means, really. All I know is that it won’t allow me to torrent and it’s making my life just a tad bit difficult.

I’ve been meaning to write about the stuff that had happened since 2009 ended. For a self-confessed social retard, the year-end and the year-start were pretty hectic, what with friends and old classmates coming over for vacation, a last-minute office trip to Dakak, my grandfather’s 86th birthday and my aunt giving birth to my latest niece. With everything such a blur, I don’t think I gave my 2009 a proper send off. I don’t remember much of it, which is good because then I’d be nostalgic and depressed and it’s not really a great way of starting the new year.

2009 was the year I finished my stint as a volunteer nurse at the Zamboanga City Medical Center. In 3 months, I learned more than I did from the 4 years I spent in college. Volunteering gave me the confidence to admit that I was a competent nurse, and that I was a pretty darned good one at that. I gained back my confidence and realized that I did not need anybody to make a name for myself. I could do it on my own. I was working punishing hours, received no pay but I was blissfully happy. Now I know. I am meant for the medical profession, and I’d never be as happy elsewhere.

My three months ended and I needed another job. All hospitals in the city needed volunteers, but I wanted, needed, compensation too. Obviously, you can’t be a rich nurse in this country anymore. The family urged me to go abroad and I refused. I want to work here, on my own land, my own city. For God and country. It took me a while, but I finally understood it.

For two and a half months, I worked as a researcher for a military-affiliated agency, and I’ll always be grateful for the experience. I worked with nice people, met a fine mentor, mad friends and had the finest boss of all time. We only had a short time together, but I’m happy to have met such people. I want to make them proud of me, which is why I’m working really hard at my current job. I’m six months in and counting. I think I’ll be staying for six months more and then I’m probably off to another job. By that time, I hope I’d have the guts to go back to nursing and start a career. I’m 23 year old, undecided and career-less. Tch.

I’ve worked the hardest this year. I’ve also travelled the most. I went to Cebu, visited Pampanga and went to Manila and Dakak, twice. It’s an exercise which I hope I can continue this year, travelling. I encountered the dreaded pimple this year, after 22 pimple-less years.

I discovered that coffee hates me and I it. I discovered new anime and fell in love with old ones as well. I saw terrific sunsets. I saw the sun set behind great mountains, settle on drifting clouds and sink behind the calm waters of the ocean.

This year, I want to start things right. I will work harder. I will be of use. Go out more. Do crafts. Take up a new hobby. Write more, draw again. Save money and splurge! I will be better. I want to be awesome, but yeah, I’ll settle for better for now.

Goodbye, 2009. You were great.

No comments: