Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mononoke 6-7

During a random surf through my anime list on MAL, I found a number of rotting anime titles under the "Watching" and "On-hold" tabs. Shame, shame, really, as some of those titles were really good ones, too, and now, I'm just too tired/lazy/busy to finish them all.

Yesterday, though, I got the chance to continue with Mononoke, a title I started a year ago. Mononoke,not to be confused with the anime Princess Mononoke, is a 12-episode series of Japanese stories of horror and the supernatural. Despite the year hiatus, I'm glad that my fandom for this title has not dimmed one bit.

Episodes 6 and 7 dealt with the Japanese Noppera-bo. A noppera-bo, in Japanese folktales, is a faceless woman-avenger. The noppera-bo takes on the face of the wronged victims before meting out serious psychological, twilight zone-ish justice to the offenders.

Mononoke, however, had a different take on the whole noppera-bo folklore. Instead of a faceless woman, we encounter a spirit (ayakashi) with many faces in love with a woman accused of murdering her family.

As usual, Mononoke's storytelling style surpasses itself. Scenes often overlap each other, mimicking the muddled and disturbed psyche of the arc's main character. The overall effect of these subtle elements does the noppera-bo arc true justice, though, I initially found the constant and rapid change of scenes confusing at first. Nothing a little rewinding couldn't remedy :D

I'm definitely going to continue with Mononoke (buffering episode 8!). I'll also squeeze in a few more pending series I've neglected, in between work. I'm rather surprise at the lackluster Spring 2009 season; I've been watching some episodes, but so far, nothing has grabbed my attention. Or maybe I've just been lost for so long :D

2 comments:

vaneea said...

I love this series very much :)

Jasmine said...

I know :D I'm not a fan of supernatural and horror series, but here I am, watching it. It's crazy :D