Pages

Friday, June 05, 2009

Another work-related rant

(and yeah, there's bound to be a lot of work-related rants from this point forward)

Oro! Weekend!

It's Friday, the end of my third week in my new workplace and it's still awkward to be sitting in my cubicle doing and achieving nothing - not unless you count reaching level 15 in FB's Mafia Wars an achievement. As a relative noob, I'm still testing out the employment waters. But, I have to say, having had two jobs prior to this one, starting out is not that intimidating anymore.

I'm lucky to have been provided with a PC set on my very first day and let posterity note that I was bullied into using the internet connection. As with all first days, I, er, refrained, from indulging in my usual internet habits and hovered on relatively official territories. And as with all first days, I got over the impulse to NOT open my Facebook account pretty quickly too, as everybody else was doing it.

Anyway, today I realized how lucky I am to have this PC. The other new recruit, I learned, had to kill 8 hours, doing absolutely nothing but sit behind his desk all day. Poor dude, I know the feeling. The last week had the internet going haywire. I had to play FreeCell and Hearts all day to keep me from losing it. When my PC had to undergo a makeover, I was so bored I twisted all Ma'am Fru's paperclips into human figures. Just for fun. Yeah.

It's been an easy week, which for me, is completely unnerving. I can't keep still and I hate doing nothing, especially if someone is paying me to do it. Basically what I'm tasked to do here is to do articles and write ups, something I truly enjoy doing. I've finished all that I was supposed to do last week, which leaves me absolutely gaga as to what I'm supposed to do next or if what I did was possibly what they expected. Bah, I need serious feedback here! I'm tempted to stand up on my table and scream "Yo, people! I am ruddy bored here. Make me do something, anything. I can wax floors, serve coffee and fetch newspaper. I'm even toilet trained!"

Yeah, well, I can't say I can connect and fix printers in a jiffy anymore: we have computer engineers for that, thus my relegation to bystander status. Anyhow, another thing to look forward to this Monday, aside from the arrival of my bosses (signalling the end of my internet viewing pleasures): formal introductions! Yep, I need to stand up in front of people and extrapolate on my happiness at being hired. Gotta be up extra early for that as classes are starting next week. Thanks to DPWH's efforts on repairing a road that needed no repairs, traffic is bound to be hot and heavy.

I had a lot of things I wanted to write, but I forgot them all. It's a fiver, see and I'm leaving to socialize with college friends over coffee. One last FB update and I'm gone!

No comments: