Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Forget yesterday, we'll make the great escape

Nothing annoys me more than people who question my decision to stay in the Philippines. True, the way my life is going now absolutely begs the question, but what's the deal with haranguing those who prefer to stay back with relentless appeals to jump ship abroad? I respect my friends' decision to pursue gainful employment outside our country. In turn, I expect the same kind of courtesy for those who want to stay behind.

It's only fair, don't you think? You do what you want, I do what I want.

I've never really stated outright that I don't want to go abroad. I've always maintained that I'd consider the option if the opportunity presents itself. There have been hits and misses here and there, and I have my dreams of touring Asia and the UK, but on the whole, I'm fine with staying put with where I am now.

A friend of mine, who by the way, is one of the smartest people I've met, told me that she had no plans to leave the country because she is needed here. I share her sentiment, although I've never had her courage to own up to it in front of people. A deep seated fear of regretting my words prevent me from doing so.

My stint as a volunteer nurse a year ago, however, cleared up my muddled perspective. I was of most use when I volunteered at the pediatrics ward of the Zamboanga City Medical Center. Despite the exhausting schedule, I realized that I am needed here. Nursing, wherever it is practiced, is service. I'd just prefer to give it to my kababayan first, before others.

To be fair, my staying behind is not all noble. Working abroad would need a lot of paperwork and money. Paperwork is the one thing I hate doing the most, given the bureaucratic red-tape shit we have, and money is the one thing that I do not have in mass quantity. It's been 3 years since I graduated and got my license. The nursing rat race will be the death of me and my fragile ego. Really, try beating a million other nursing graduates who are more gung-ho than you and just itching to leave the country.

My nursing background is nothing stellar. I know that I'm a damn good nurse, yes, but my so-called brilliance is a hands-on kind of thing. It's something that I can't adequately translate to in my resume.

And besides, I have plans of my own, plans to pursue my dreams of getting an MD hitched to my name. I've already done what my family wanted and it's not enough. There's just no substituting what you want with what you need.

Medical school is still hazy at this time. Preparations need to be made, plans to do, things to finish.

Here's to hoping. And dreaming.

No comments: