Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Cry wine and sell vinegar

I had hoped that my 3-day vacation in Dumaguete City would clear my head and rejuvenate my weary 23-year-old self. I had visions of going back to work, so full of fresh air and healthy sunshine rays, that I'd dazzle everyone with my writing and my tan. As it is, I can barely write anything decent this week. One article underwent such a gruesome edit, I wept. Take away from me my writing, I lose whatever ounce of confidence I have and I turn into a cabbage. So, please, I really, really need to get it back.

I've had blocks before, sure, but nothing as serious as this. I'm stumped in nearly everything I do. My letters suck, my articles might as well be bonfire fodder and this blog post is killing me! I've got three more pending posts and I haven't the heart to finish it. Inspiration is a prima donna bitch, I tell you.

Normally, when I encounter blocks, I doodle. I've been a doodler since as far as I can remember, and doodling has always helped me squeeze out my creative juices when I need it most. It doesn't matter that I'm no Da Vinci. Doodling gets the gray mater running. It also used to annoy the heck out of my classmates. I'd doodle on their reference materials and they freak out. Strange people, eh?

And if doodling doesn't do the trick, I scribble. I'd write my name over and over again. And because my name is 26 letters long, my right hand gets quite the workout. That was before I got good with the keyboard, though, thanks to Typer Shark Deluxe.

Now, instead of scribbling, I type. Letters, words, sentences, paragraphs, only to delete them and start again. I even retype my stuff if I have to. I try to tackle simpler assignments first, like letters, memos and whatnots before sinking my fingers on to the heavy hitters. I blast my eardrums out with music. I eat. I walk. I do anything but stare at my blank word document. I go at it for as long as I can, and eventually, an article would type itself out.

This is what I'm doing now. Writing, re-writing, deleting and struggling to make this one post count. I feel that if I don't get through this, my head will explode and I'd be stuck answering and transferring phone calls for the rest of my life.

I feel a whole lot better now and I just hope the feeling will tide over to my other pending articles.

If it doesn't, then this:

demotivational poster - EXPLOSION
see more


3 comments:

Uhmyell said...

i thought u were working for ---
well, i guess, i was wrong. hahahah
nagsusulat ka pala?

Jasmine said...

Aws, who did you think I was working for? Ako mismo, na-intriga. Writing is a major part of my work - communications, articles, stuff like that :)

Uhmyell said...

uhmm..nah. forget it. =)