Pages

Saturday, August 19, 2006

in the news

our EIC decided to give us permanent 'niches' to work on so that data gathering will be easier. i chose to work under national issues, which i realize now was a really stupid move since i don't read newspapers, much less actually care to know what happens to my beloved yet sinking-in-elephant-turd country, the Philippines. i don't like news. i am a firm believer in the adage that no news is good news.

if you live in the same place as me, then skip this paragraph. obviously, there is no need for me to elaborate our political situation. but for purposes of clarification for the author herself, i shall try to discuss the state of my country. it's in deep shit.

and so am i, unless i find my national news issue to be passed by Tuesday.

i have claimed the job of wading knee-deep in national issues which are usually shitty and emerge from my escapade unscathed, with a clear view of what the news means. i do not mean to be so negative about it; it just can't be helped. on the positive side, i guess i'll be more alert and up-to-date with the going-ons around here. perhaps that will cure my opinion-less lifestyle.

i'm starting to develop tha habit of reading newspapers when i get in the Beacon office. thankfully, the school provides us with the latest newspapers, 2 national and 1 local paper.i don't bother with the local papers; a campus journalist could do articles and layouting better than they do. my favorite reads will have to be the Inquirer's opinion page, especially Randy David's and Patricia Evangelista's columns, the former helping me understand the issues better and clearer while the latter allows me to marvel at the brilliance and brains of today's Filipino youth. too bad their government fails them in so many ways.

i'll be doing my job right if i watch the news and read the papers. i think i'll be enjoying it too.

i just wish i still had social studies class. perhaps i can dazzle them with my newfound passion for the papers.

No comments: