Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The other side of the moon

There's no official proclamation yet, but they might as well paint the city red. It seems that Zamboanga chose comfort over change, the old over the new. I don't like it one bit. But one can you do? This is what it is to live in a democracy.

Like a badge of honor

I can't say that I'm pleased with how Zamboanga's local election turned out. I am not pleased. Words cannot describe the feelings of disappointment and incredulity that have mingled to form a bitter taste behind my throat. How could people, for one minute, think of electing local officials who have done nothing for the years that they have been in public service except for wave at the crowd during city events? As if appearing in public functions is equal to public service.

What we will have, once proclamation is done and over with, are the same lethargic councilors who have done nothing to invigorate this city from its slump. Given their track records - or lack of it - they will continue to do nothing. Zamboanga may well sleep forever and be forgotten in the wastelands.

It also sucks that my mayoralty bet didn't win. Still, I could live with having 3 more years of Lobregat rule. The mayor has done his fair share for Zamboanga, and he's got something to show for it. Losing, in any form, sucks balls, so this is nothing personal.

What I find harder to swallow, though, is having a vice mayor who has nothing. I have no idea what he's done, what he intends to do and how he intends to do it. Soon to be declared Vice Mayor Ituralde may have some unknown aces up his sleeve, but that's just the point. Who knows about it? His smile is not reassuring, his constantly closed office (yes, constantly closed. I visited the Sangguniang Panglungsod quite a number of times and his office was always closed) does not speak of a person who is an achiever. The vice mayor roster was not particularly attractive, yes, but sir, I'm sorry, but you are not the best man for this job.

I guess what I'm most disappointed about is that Zamboanga did not make the most out of this opportunity. It did not dare to do something different. Which is why it is no different to what it was before.

So now what? What else is left except for the hope that somehow, no matter how strongly I disagree, this city made the right choice in choosing their leaders.

But this time, I'd like to be more vigilant. I'd like to see what our elected officials will do in the coming years, now so more than ever, with every city in Mindanao catching up and leaving Zamboanga behind in the progress race.

The joke is on this city. We vote, not on merit, but on popularity. And money. We want to see progress. And when we don't get it from our officials, we turn to each other and say "I told you so." Then, come next election, we vote for you again. To our officials, please make me sing a different tune next time. Please give me reason to believe. Bring it.

This year's election meant more than just a change of leadership. For me, it was an opportunity, the opportunity. I had high hopes for this election, and I was more than excited to be part of the country's historic first. Instead, all my expectations have fallen flat.

Tough luck.

No comments: