Pages

Friday, February 05, 2010

Do a little dance, give a little love

I have to hand it to my friends, we are really making good on our collective promise to be more socially outgoing twentysomethings. Now that we’re more open-minded about drinking, partying and stuff, we find going out for a weekend get together real easy. Being gainfully employed and experiencing a latent surge of hormones due to the late emergence of puberty are certainly contributing factors too, but I think it’s the habit of splitting the tab expenses between ourselves that makes us so willing to go out and splurge.

Take for example this month’s get together. We went for pizza and coffee, thinking that we were all full anyways, when we were really not. We ended up ordering two platefuls of pizza. On our last two slices, we learned that DJ is going to make it. It took all my willpower to leave them two pizza slices alone. I’m a considerate friend, you see. I want DJ to have something to eat when he comes. And besides, one bite and we’ll be splitting the tab fiveways instead of four. Teehee.

Total damages for the week: P 91.00.

The relatively cheap expenses for food (once split) notwithstanding, the conversations we have are always the best part of these social activities, the part that I really look forward to. Tonight, me and Toni talked quite a lot about mangas and animes. It’s nice to know that somebody shares my interest for Ouran High School Host Club and Hajime no Ippo and who isn’t completely baffled when I say things like shonen, forbidden brotherly love and Fairy Tail.

We talk about anything. We talk about work and how we want to be richer than we already are. We reminisce quite a lot, too. Reminiscing is way more fun when you had a quirky life in high school with equally quirky teachers who take offense when you laugh while they’re talking about siopaos.

And we talk some more. Of our dreams, of how we want to go to the gym to further support our blossoming social lives, of going abroad, of serving the country, of finding that someone, of being happy, of being proud of how we, in our own little ways, are successful in our fields. We gossip like old women. We make plans to travel to Boracay, Baguio and Hong Kong Disneyland. We bicker over pizza slices.

And we drink beer! Technically, they chug the beerz. I sip, make a face and order a tall glass of water.

Once, I got curious. Everybody else was drinking beer and apparently enjoying it. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against beer. I just can’t see why people enjoy it so much when it’s so bitter.

It’s like this, so they say. When you drink beer, you lose your inhibitions.

And that’s a good thing, right? I ask.

Of course. When you spend a week holed up in your room studying for biochem exams and you’ve got only one day to blow off all that steam, drinking the beers and getting wasted is the only way to go.

Interesting, I think. Justifiable. And plausible.

However, I prefer to have my inhibitions up and running. I’m anal that way. Also, when I need to blow off steam, I watch TV. Or play basketball.

And I'm struck with the realization that I’ll never finish a bottle of beer, never get wasted, never be inebriated enough to wobble clumsily down streets in my life. I think I’m missing quite an experience, yes? Note to self: try to drink more than 4 teaspoons of beer next time. I have low alcohol tolerance, so maybe inebriation is only a couple of sips away.

It’s a nice thing to have conversations over pizza and beerz. I’m not complaining. So chug away, guys.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

socially outgoing twenty something's? really now... Let's drink to that, CHEERS!

anyway, thanks jazzy! you left two slices for me. you're so sweet and kind and wonderful...or did you initiate that to cut down the expenses of our total damage? just kidding.

91.00 php didn't hurt that much... tihee!

Sige...we'll have more of our work escapades on a freaky friday...all in the name of "SOSYAL LAYP!" hihihi...

Jasmine said...

You know me, Deej. I'm a very caring person - I care for myself a LOT >:D

Unknown said...

yeah, right, jazzy! the hell you care! hehehehe...jowG lang!