Pages

Friday, August 08, 2008

On having a chauvinist for a brother

It started with the show "American Gladiators", which, if you really think about it, hardly inspires chauvinistic and anti-feministic sentiments especially if you consider the buffed bodies of the gladiators, male or female. There I was, enjoying the local rerun of season 1's final episode when my brother screeched:

"The loser's being interviewed by a GIRL!!"

I am not a radical feminist, but I do have pride as a woman. The biggest pet peeve I have with my brother is the fact that he thinks he's so superior to women, when in fact Leila Ali can beat him black and blue with both hands behind her back. Comments like "Ah, poreso gale. Mujer el driver.", also pisses me off, but correcting him is like asking a fish to walk on land. He just feels so bloody superior. I have no idea who gave him that idea.

So when my brother said that, in his infuriatingly condescending and superior way, I told him he wasn't exactly being PC.

"Ooh, you're talking crap."

I told him I wasn't.

"What's PC?"

Politically correct, I said. You should use the word person, instead of saying man or woman. Like George Clooney, on Batman and Robin.

"So that's how you talk now? PC?"

Shut up, PC idiot.

"You talk shit."

You act like shit.

"You initiated shit."

You invented shit.

"You look like shit."

You are shit.

He snickered and guffawed.

I went inside my room, fuming.

1-0, in favor for dear chauvinistic bro.

No comments: